Wouldn’t it be great if there was a way to make healthy fried chicken? Who doesn’t love the crunch when you bite into a hot juicy piece of fried chicken. That is until you think about the 320 calories, 16 grams of fat and 4 grams of saturated fat that comes with deep frying chicken in a vat of fat.
Now there is a way to make delicious and healthy crunchy hot juicy fried chicken at home your family will love.
Most “healthy fried chicken” recipes I have found use almond flour to coat the chicken, and then bake the chicken in the oven to create a healthy alternative to deep fried chicken. This is not really frying chicken. The consistency is not like fried chicken and it doesn’t taste like your favorite fried chicken.
That was until I discovered the best alternative to deep frying chicken that creates real hot, crunchy fried chicken, and has fewer calories than that stuff from the fast food restaurants, that is delicious but not very healthy.
The best way to make healthy fried chicken is with an oil less air fryer. This is small kitchen appliance that makes healthy fried chicken and more with super heated air, usually between 400 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
An air fryer uses convection cooking technology that rapidly circulates the super heated air around the food to cook it to crispy deliciousness.
Rather than using hot fat like a traditional deep fryer does, an air fryer uses just a tablespoon of hot oil to make healthy fried chicken that has fewer calories and less fat.
How Does an Air Fryer Work?
Here is a delicious and healthy recipe from Recipe This to make a healthier version of KFC Fried Chicken in an air fryer.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 300ml Bread Crumbs
- 30ml KFC Spice Blend (get the recipe here)
- 3 Small Eggs (beaten)
- 100g Plain Flour
- Chop up your chicken into pieces. Chop up as you prefer your chicken but we love to have wings, thighs, drumsticks and breast or the breast with the wings. You can access our guide for chopping up a chicken here.
- In a bowl add your KFC spice blend to your bread crumbs. In another bowl have your flour and in a third your beaten egg.
- Roll your chicken pieces in the flour, the egg and then in the spicy bread crumbs.
- Place in the Airfryer at a temperature of 180c for 18 minutes and then check to make sure it is cooked in the middle.
Recipe courtesy of Recipe This
What Air Fryer Do We Recommend?
We recommend the Black and Decker Air Fryer, because it is one of the best rates air fryers on the market for all your frying needs, and it also works as a convection oven to cook anything you would cook in your regular oven, and costs less than $100 at Amazon.com.
Latest posts by Ken Weiss (see all)
- How Freshly Compares to The Competition in Meal Home Delivery - June 22, 2017
- Cookware Comparison Chart – How to Choose the Best Cookware Set? - June 16, 2017
- Home-made Coconut Milk Recipe - June 6, 2017