It goes without saying that cooking hamburgers is practically an art form. Sure, on the surface, it can seem like a pretty straightforward process – make the patty and then cook it through. However, if you have ever tried your hand at cooking hamburgers, you can vouch that there is more to it.
Now, the best cooking method for cooking hamburgers does play a pretty important role in how your hamburger turns out. So, if you want to get your patty cooked to perfection, you probably want an answer to the debate on griddle vs. grill when cooking hamburgers. So, what’s the verdict?
Well, to ensure that you really are making the right decision for your hamburger – and your taste buds, here is what you need to know about these two options…
What’s Best Way to Cooking Hamburgers: Griddle vs. Grill
Ok, first things first – how do these two cooking surfaces actually differ? At a glance, you can tell these two elements apart. See, a grill contains raised ridges, with spaces or depressed regions in between. It is this surface that leaves those grill marks on your food.
A griddle, on the other hand, is a shallow, flat and smooth cooking surface, similar to that of a frying pan. However, griddles tend to have a greater surface area so that you can cook multiple hamburgers (or other food items) at once.
Now, due to the raised and depressed design of the grill, when cooking hamburgers, the meat is typically separated from fats and liquids. The liquid drips to the portion below. With a griddle, though, this doesn’t happen, allowing the meat to cook in its own juices.
There are a few different types of grills and griddles to choose from. The first is grill and griddle pans. These are pans that you place on a stovetop. Then, there are the electric versions that are equipped with their own heat source.
With grills, you also have ones that are powered by charcoal or wood to infuse a smoky flavor into whatever it is that you are cooking.
Which One is Best for Cooking Hamburgers?
While there is a fair amount of debate, it can be argued that griddles really are best for hamburgers. And, if you aren’t sure about this answer, just think about why restaurant burgers taste so much better than your homemade ones – it isn’t because of the recipe.
Instead, it is because most restaurants cook their hamburgers on large, flat griddles. When griddles are heated, they maintain a consistent temperature throughout the flat surface. Thus, each side of the hamburger forms a nice crust, which adds both flavor and crunch.
This isn’t possible with grills. Only the portions that touch the grill will have the sear marks. As you will have experienced, this doesn’t really have the same impact. With grills, you also have to be aware of the possibility of flare-ups if using an outdoor grill.
When grease drips onto the fire below, flames shoot up, searing the exterior of the meat. As such, you can end up with burnt bits, even though the middle portion of the hamburger isn’t cooked all the way through.
Another advantage is that griddles allow the fats and liquids from the patty to settle in the pan. Thus, you don’t run the risk of the meat drying out while it is cooking. This results in a juicy hamburger each and every time. At the same time, these juices hold some incredible flavor. Thus, your hamburger will be a great deal tastier too.
With grills, on the other hand, the risk of dry patties is much higher. This is because the liquids will quickly drip away. So, even if you take care not to overcook the hamburger, it will still be rather dry.
3 Ways to Cook the Best Burgers on a Griddle
So, now that a winner has been decided, let’s take a look at how to cook burgers to perfection on a griddle.
1. The first thing you should be aware of is that not all griddles are created the same. Thus, you should invest in a good quality cooking surface. Most experts would recommend the Blackstone Griddle as it allows meat to cook quickly and evenly. This ensures a crusty exterior, with a middle portion that is cooked to perfection and that still remains its juicy texture.
2. The second thing that you need to do is to season your griddle thoroughly. No, this doesn’t mean adding herbs and spices to the surface of the griddle. Rather, you need to add a small quantity of oil and let the griddle heat up. When you notice the oil beginning to spit, it is time to place the burgers on the grill.
Don’t place the burgers on the grill before the surface has heated up properly. This will lead to an unevenly cooked hamburger. So, always look for signs that the griddle has reached the perfect temperature.
3. Make sure to press the burger down into the grill with a spatula. This allows the juices to permeate throughout the patty and really bring the flavor of the burger to the surface. Cook each side of the burger for around three minutes or until the surface has browned thoroughly. Then, flip.
If you would like to add cheese to your burger, place a slice of cheese on the cooked side. This lets the choose melt a little and add even more flavor to the burger. When the side that is face down is cooked through, remove the burger from the griddle and onto the bun.
So, there you have it – your answer to whether the griddle or the grill is what you should reach for when cooking burgers. And, you now know how to use a griddle to create the best tasting burger as well!
Jackson Miller has been an avid fan of cooking for a while now. His favorite pastime involves trying out different tools, techniques, and recipes to see which one yields the best results. He also loves sharing his wisdom with anyone who is willing to listen.
- Healthy Vegan Diet Plan – the One Month Vegan Challenge - September 8, 2023
- The Worst Foods that Causes Aging Faster, and What You Can Do? - August 30, 2023
- Is a Soup Diet for Weight Loss A Healthy Way to Lose Weight? – 14-Day Soup Diet - August 8, 2023