- allergic to milk products
- are lactose intolerant
- can’t process dairy products,
- those who choose to remove milk from their diet for health reasons
- vegans who choose not to consume any animal-based products.
Coconut milk is not a real milk, like that produced from milk derived from cows, rather it is made with water and the liquid and oil locked inside the meat of the coconut. This is the perfect drink if you’re on a paleo diet, like the one recommended by Brenda Walding, the creator of this delicious recipe.
Coconut milk is rather thick like dairy milk, and is a natural dairy-free milk alternative.
Coconut is considered a superfood, due to its naturally high antioxidant properties, and health benefits. The fruit of the coconut palm, is particularly abundant in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Coconut oil is not only a healthy cooking fat, it has many medicinal qualities, so drinking a glass of natural coconut milk is a delicious and healthy alternative to dairy milk.
Benefits of Coconut Milk
Whether you’re eating the meat, drinking the juice, or consuming it as oil, coconuts are a delicious and nutritious source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
It has tons of calcium, potassium, and magnesium, as well as plenty of electrolytes. In fact, coconut water is known to have the same electrolyte levels as human plasma, and has even been used for plasma transfusions!
You can use coconut with cereal, to drink like dairy milk and in recipes that call for milk. While dairy milk is not always paleo approved, coconut milk can be used if you are on a paleo diet.
Whether you’re eating the meat, drinking the juice, or consuming it as oil, coconuts are a delicious and nutritious source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It is naturally high in calcium, potassium, and magnesium, as well as plenty of electrolytes.
If you thought making home-made coconut milk is a long or complicated process, you won’t believe how simple it is, and you can get the ingredients at your local grocery store.
You will want to use a high speed blender, like a Vitamix or Ninja Blender, which which have sharp blades and spin at high rpm, to fully process the ingredients into a smooth consistency. Unfortunately, a regular blender just doesn’t spin a high enough RPM to get the consistency you need to make coconut milk.
If you don’t have a high speed blender, you learn about the Ninja Blender here, which is the high speed blender we use.
- 4 cups of water
- 1.5-2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- Heat the water in a pan on the stove top on medium heat, but don’t boil.
- It should be hot, but not scalding.
- Put coconut in a high speed blender, such as a Vitamix or Ninja Blender and add the hot water. (If all water won’t fit, you can add the water in two batches.)
- Blend on high for several minutes until the coconut is smooth, thick and creamy.
- Pour through a mesh colander or put cheese cloth tightly over a bowl and slowly pour the coconut milk through the cheese cloth, first to get most of the coconut out. Once you have poured all the coconut milk through the cheese cloth, squeeze through a towel or several thicknesses of cheesecloth to get remaining pieces of coconut out.
- If you have to split the water, put all the coconut that you strained out back in the blender, add the remaining water, and repeat.
- Flavor options – add in after all coconut has been strained out: 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, 2 tsp cocoa powder + 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Drink immediately or store in the fridge. Should be used in 3-4 days after making for best flavor and texture.
- Since there are no preservatives or fillers, the “cream” of the coconut milk may separate on the top if stored in the fridge. Just shake or stir before using.
You can Get more delicious and easy coconut recipes at Cooking with Coconuts Cookbook.
Click Here to download your free copy.
For a small processing fee, you can order a hard copy of Cooking with Coconuts Cookbook.
Latest posts by Ken Weiss (see all)
- What is the Best Masticating Juicer You Can Buy? - July 13, 2019
- Smeg 5-Quart Stand Mixer Review - July 13, 2019
- Flirty Aprons Review - Sexy Chefs Aprons for Men and Women - July 12, 2019