The paleo diet began trending a few years ago, mainly among aesthetic based athletes like bodybuilders and bikini competitors but also among non athletes looking to lean out.
The whole ideology behind the paleo diet is a way of eating that takes you back to how humans used to eat in the paleolithic era, the theory being that the diet is healthier for humans in comparison to modern day farming.
For those who have been curious about following a paleo diet, but aren’t sure where to start, I’m going to share some simple recipes that are great paleo alternatives to everyday dishes.
Grain Free Waffles
If you’ve been looking for the perfect paleo breakfast, look no further! These light and crispy waffles are ideal for parents and children. Many people struggle trying to find a recipe that creates a light waffle, as opposed to the thick, dense ones that are often made with coconut flour and coconut milk. These waffles are made with almond flour and milk, making them light and the perfect base to be topped with fresh fruit.
2 cups finely ground almond flour
1 cup tapioca starch/flour
1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp ground flax + 6 tbsp warm water
1 cup almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
¼ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup coconut oil
- Preheat waffle iron
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, tapioca starch and baking powder.
- Whisk or stir to combine well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax meal and warm water. Set aside until thick.
- In a small bowl, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar.
- Add flax meal, maple syrup, vanilla and melted coconut oil. Whisk to combine and quickly add to the dry ingredients.
- Stir the batter until well combined.
- Using ¼ cup scoop, pour batter onto waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
Sweet Potato Cheeseburger Casserole
This recipe is intended for those who enjoy the comfort of a hearty casserole. This simple casserole is delicious and makes for a great dinner.
3 medium sweet potatoes, spiralized.
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
1 medium onion, finely chopped.
1 medium carrot, chopped.
1 celery stalk, chopped.
1 lb grass-fed ground beef.
1 tsp dried oregano.
½ tsp garlic powder.
1 tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chili powder.
1 ½ cups chicken stock.
1 cup crushed tomatoes.
Chopped tomatoes and green onion to garnish.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery stirring occasionally. Cook until onion is translucent and vegetables are soft, this should take about three minutes.
- Bring the heat to high and add the beef, cooking for five minutes until brown.
- Add the spices and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the chicken stock and crushed tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add the spiralized sweet potatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and top with chopped tomatoes and green onions.
Blackened Chicken and Avocado Salad
This makes for a great light lunch or dinner recipe. This salad is packed full of greens and healthy monounsaturated fats and protein. What I like about this salad is that you can make it for dinner and have the leftovers for lunch the next day.
2 boneless chicken breasts
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil
A pinch of salt and pepper
2 cups romaine lettuce
1 large tomato
1 small red onion
½ cup cucumber
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cilantro
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together all the spices, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Coat the chicken with the mixture and cook on medium heat in a frying pan for approximately 15 minutes.
- Wash, dry and chop the lettuce. Peel, pit and chop the avocados, tomato, onion and cucumber.
- Add all vegetables into a large salad bowl, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt, pepper and cilantro and toss with tongs.
- Remove the chicken and cut into strips, place on top of salad and serve.
Pad Thai with Carrot and Sweet Potato Noodles
I think it’s safe to say pad thai is a favorite among many. Fortunately, there are many paleo recipes out there for people who need their pad thai fix! I particularly like this one because it uses both carrot noodles and sweet potato noodles. This is a great dish that the whole family can enjoy.
2 ½ tbsp sesame oil
½ cup sunflower butter
Juice from ½ a lime
1 tbsp coconut aminos
3 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp rice vinegar
½ cup coconut milk (for the sauce)
1 sweet potato, spiralized
2 large carrots, spiralized
¼ cup diced red onion
½ red bell pepper
1 tbsp coconut milk
½ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup diced red cabbage
¼ cup cilantro
- Combine 1 tbsp of sesame oil with the sunflower butter, lime juice, coconut aminos, honey, vinegar and coconut milk in a medium sized bowl and use a hand mixer to blend the sauce until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add in 1 tbsp of sesame oil, the spiralized noodles, red onion and red pepper.
- Saute for around 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until noodles are softened.
- Stir in the pad thai sauce, ensuring you coat all the noodles evenly.
- In a separate small pan, scramble the eggs with the remaining ½ tbsp of sesame oil.
- Top the noodles with the eggs, sunflower seeds, red cabbage and cilantro.
Coconut Whipped Cream
This recipe is great for anyone with a sweet tooth. It can be used for multiple recipes, like on top of cakes, pies, tarts and hot chocolate. It’s extremely quick and easy and requires only a few ingredients. If you’re a fan of coconut, you must give this one a try!
13 to 14 oz coconut cream, chilled in the fridge for 24 hours
¼ cup Sweetener of your choice
1 tsp vanilla
- Pour hardened coconut cream mixture into mixing bowl.
- Add in the sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Keep refrigerated until use
Helen Sanders is chief editor at HealthAmbition.com.
Established in 2012, Health Ambition has grown rapidly in recent years. Our goal is to provide easy-to-understand health and nutrition advice that makes a real impact. We pride ourselves on making sure our actionable advice can be followed by regular people with busy lives.
- How to Make Steamed Buns with Pork from Scratch - Step-by-Step Instructions - February 23, 2021
- 5 Nutritious Lunch Ideas For Kids At Home - February 15, 2021
- 15 Delicious & Healthy Coffee Recipes You Can Make At Home - February 3, 2021