Updated August 2023
Making sticky white rice can be hard if you don’t have the right kind of rice and a good sushi rice cooker. The two rice cookers I recommend if you want to make sticky white rice at home is an Instant Pot or the Zojirushi 3 cup Japanese rice cooker.
Making Japanese white rice is a simple and easy process that can add a delicious side dish to any meal. With just a few simple steps, you can have a tasty side dish that can be served with any entrée.
We have an Instant Pot at our home, and at many Japanese or Chinese restaurants I have been to, they use a Zojirushi Japanese rice cooker. In my simple scientific poll, the Zojirushi rice cooker came out on top due to its quality construction, consistent race making capability and features, followed by the Instant Pot pressure cooker rice maker.
A rice cooker is a small kitchen appliance used to cook rice perfectly every time. This convenient device can be used to make different types of rice, including white rice, brown rice, white sticky rice and even sushi rice. It is designed to make the cooking process easier, faster, and more consistent.
How to Make White Sticky Rice in a rice cooker
The key to making perfect white sticky rice that is not too soft or too hard is to use the right kind of rice amd to have the right amount of water. Most home cooks use Basmati rice or Jasmine rice in their home kitchen. These are popular, delicious and easy to cook varieties of rice, but unfortunately these types or rice will not make good Japanese sticky rice. They don’t have enough gluten to give the rice the sticky consistency needed for sticky rice.
Don’t Forget to Rinse the Rice
Unlike brown rice that has a very low amount of gluten, white rice has a high gluten consistency. It’s important to rinse off the excess gluten before cooking the rice.
White Sticky Rice Cooking Process
The cooking process to make white sticky rice is quite simple. All you need to do is add the required amount of water and rice to the pot and select the desired cooking setting. The cooker will then heat up and cook the rice according to the settings. When the rice is finished cooking, the cooker will switch off automatically.
The best rice to make sticky rice for sushi, Asian dishes, or you just prefer white sticky rice is to use Calrose white rice.
On the stove top, or with a Japanese rice cooker, you generally use 2 cups of water for each cup of rice. With a pressure cooker, like an Instant pot, you use equal parts rice and water, so if you use one cup of rice, you use one cup of water.
Making white rice is a simple and easy process that can add a delicious side dish to any meal. White rice is a staple in many cuisines around the world, and it’s an affordable and versatile ingredient that can be enjoyed as a side dish, as a main course, or as a part of a larger recipe. Here are the steps to make white rice at home:
Making white sticky rice On the stove top
1. Rinse the rice in a bowl of cold water. This removes excess starch from the rice, as well as, removes any dirt or debris, from the rice.
2. Poor the water out slowly, then rinse again until water runs clear. This ensures all the dirt and starch have been removed.
3. Add water to the rice and bring the water to a boil. The amount of water you will use to cook the rice will depend on the amount of rice you are cooking. For every cup of rice, you should use about two cups of water.
4.Bring the water and rice to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and cover the pot with a lid. Allow the rice to simmer until it is cooked, which should take about 15 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to low, and cover the pot with a lid. Allow the rice to simmer until it is cooked, which should take about 15 minutes.
6. Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat and fluff with a fork.
7. Serve the rice while it’s still hot and enjoy!
Making white sticky rice in an electric rice cooker
- Healthy Vegan Diet Plan - the One Month Vegan Challenge - September 8, 2023
- The Worst Foods that Causes Aging Faster, and What You Can Do? - August 30, 2023
- Is a Soup Diet for Weight Loss A Healthy Way to Lose Weight? - 14-Day Soup Diet - August 8, 2023