If you have ever thought of buying a pressure cooker, or wondered why you would need such a contraption, this article will hopefully put any doubt to rest. You will also learn what is the best product under $100.
A pressure cooker works by trapping steam as it builds up inside the machine. This builds up intense pressure to create hotter internal temperatures to more rapidly cook the food. The tight seal around the lid locks in heat, moisture, and flavors, as well as, vitamins and minerals for exceptionally healthy, great-tasting meals.
Pressure cooking reduces cooking time by up to 70% as compared to cooking on a stove top or in an oven.
A Brief History
Pressure cooking dates back to 1679, when a French physicist, called Denis Papin, sought a way to speed up the cooking process of food, and invented a pressure cooker made of cast iron.
Over the centuries other inventors have developed pressure cookers that were lighter and had more relevant and practical professional and home uses.
A modern pressure cooker does more than cook your food under pressure. They can actually replace several other small kitchen appliances in your home. You can use one machine to cook an entire meal in a fraction of the time.
How Does a Pressure Cooker Work?
What Can You Make?
- pulled pork
- steamed vegetables
- and more!
How Much Do Pressure Cookers Cost?
Pressure cookers have come along way, since they were first invented over 100 years ago.
You can buy a basic stove top unit for under $50 that uses heat from the burner on your stove.
You can also purchase an advanced electric multi function pressure cooker, that you plug into the outlet in your kitchen. This unit can also saute, brown, is a slow cooker and can make cakes and yogurt. This type of multi function pressure cooker can cost anywhere from $70 to over $200, depending on size and capability.
What is the Best Pressure Cooker for Under $100?
You will find that you can buy a basic no frills unit for $30 to $50. If you are looking for an electric multi-function pressure cooker that can brown, saute and can even make a cake, you can expect to pay $80 to more than $200.
My research indicates the best selling electric pressure cookers are the following:
- 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Cooker–Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Saute/Browning, Yogurt Maker, Steamer & Warmer. Please refer the user manual before use.
- Large, easy to use control panel with 14 Micro-Processor controlled programs, Dual pressure, Automatic keep-warm and 3 temperatures for saute and slow cook.
- UL and ULC certified with 10 proven safety mechanisms; Highly energy efficient and kitchen friendly.
- Includes 3-ply bottom stainless steel cooking pot, stainless steel steam rack with handle & manual and recipes.
- 14 Micro-Processor controlled programs: Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté, Steam, Rice, Porridge, Multigrain, Slow Cook, Keep-Warm, Yogurt, Pasteurize and Fermented Rice (Jiu Niang).
- Dual pressure settings for fast and flexible cooking. Cooking with the high pressure reduces cooking time by up to 70% and the low pressure avoids overcooking delicate food.
- 3-ply bottom Food Grade 304 (18/8) stainless steel cooking pot for durability.
- Finger-print resistant brushed stainless steel exterior.
- 6-quart capacity.
- Cool-touch side handles; Nonstick cooking pot.
- Dishwasher-safe cooking pot and trivet; Trivet included.
- 99-minute time and LED countdown display: 0-40 minutes = 1-minute increments. 40-99 minutes =5-minute increments.
- Fingerprint-proof brushed stainless steel housing; BPA free.
- Push button control for cooking options and programmed settings: Low and High Pressure, Browning, Simmer, Saute and automatic Keep Warm Settings.
- Dimensions: 12.20 x 12.20 x 13.19 -inches; Limited 3-year warranty
- The variable control valve cooks at 10 or 15 PSI for different meals.
- With a durable stainless steel body, this will be a long-lasting addition to your kitchen.
- Riveted, durable handles for secure grip provide safe transport and easy handling.
- The T-fal Pressure Cooker is suitable for all heat sources including induction.
- It comes with a secure locking lid making it safe and easy-to-use.
- The steam release valve controls steam release for added safety.
- For safety, the lid will not open when already in use. Lid will release after pressure is released.
- Chicken, fish, meat, and vegetables cook to perfection fast.
- Helps tenderize economical cuts of meat.
- Strong heavy-gauge aluminum for quick, even heating.
- Works on regular and smooth-top ranges.
- Pressure regulator maintains the proper cooking pressure automatically.
- Cover lock indicator shows when pressure has been achieved, and prevents the cover from being opened until it is safe.
- Helper handle for ease of handling.
- Includes a special rack for cooking several foods at once with no intermingling of flavors.
- Extended 12-year limited warranty.
We hope you have found this article interesting and informative about the function, capability and affordable price of pressure cookers.
Pressure cookers are not glorified rice cookers or for boiling water, you can actually prepare an entire meal in less time than you can prepare the same meal in an oven or on the stove top.
Latest posts by Ken Weiss (see all)
- Freshly Meal Delivery Service Review - August 22, 2019
- 8 Human Foods That Are Harmful To Dogs, and Should Never Eat - August 21, 2019
- Milo 10 Inch Cast Iron Skillet Review - August 18, 2019